Friday, April 25, 2014

Wild Turkey Egg

Yesterday, while checking on the sheep, i found a wild turkey egg.

The speckling is very cool on this wild turkey egg.
It was nestled snugly in a small section of overgrowth that my neighbor had just mowed.


I'm guessing she saw the egg (somehow) and mowed around it, because there was a tiny section of untouched crud, with this egg sitting in the middle.

This is what the area looked like pre-mowing:
This waist-high patch o' crap concealed a beatiful turkey egg.
Go figure.
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I'm leaning toward hard-boiling the egg and feeding it to the pigs. I would like the deer and turkeys to STOP using my land as a highway and a nesting zone. Eliminating the nest is a good start.

I had originally though that maybe it was a guinea egg, since they tend to lay in a spot and leave it. But it is pretty big, and guinea eggs are smaller than chicken eggs. Plus, a quick Google image search confirm the speckling is a hallmark of a turkey egg. It would be awesome if the guineas that got loose last year were thriving and reproducing.

But still, it's a cool looking egg.

Turkey egg = pig food? Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment