Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Thirsty Chickens

Some thirsty lil' chicks getting a nice, cool drink.
The chick-u-bator has thus far been superb. The chicks have quadrupled in size, nobody has died prematurely, and I've had only one escapee. He flew back in on his own in a matter of minutes.
Sure, there's the occasional chicken scuffle. It gets broken up pretty quickly. Yes, I already know who's going to Freezer Camp first.
But the best thing has been the food and water situation. I have a pretty standard hanging feeder from Tractor Supply, and also a chicken water system from Avian Aqua Miser. The water has been so easy. I fill the bucket up once a day, and change the whole thing whenever it gets crud in it. No poop, no messes, no spilling. It could not be easier.
The chicks are growing so fast, I had to raise the waterer a few inches.
Once I get the coop built I'll move from the milk replacer bucket the waterer currently uses (2.5 to 3 gallon) to a full 5 gallon bucket. The 5 gallon was too big for the chick-u-bator.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the coop. Will you post plans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I still have to figure out the wheels, but I'll post some plans soon.

    ReplyDelete