|Front, raw-milk cream cheese.|
Back, a mason jar of raw-milk whey (at least, what was left after feeding some to the pigs).
But for now, we celebrate the achievement of cream cheese.
It was literally as simple as taking milk, sticking it in a jar, setting it on the shelf for a few days, and then straining out the liquid.
|Raw cow milk, having been set aside for a few days, is now separated into cheese curds|
(solids floating on top) and liquid whey (clear liquid on the bottom).
|Close-up of the separated curds and whey.|
Wife took the curdled goop and strained it. For a strainer, we set up a bowl and placed a cheesecloth-lined metal collander/strainer inside of it.
|Cheesecloth, strainer, and bowl, ready for cream cheesing.|
|In goes the whole daggone thing.|
|Straining the whey through the cheesecloth.|
We ended up with more whey than space at the bottom, so the cream cheese was just chillin' in a whey bath. That is not ideal, as the cream cheese turns out better when the whey is removed. So, ever the genius, Wife hung the cheese curds to drip out properly.
|A final straining of the whey from the cheese. Wife hang to hang it up to drain, since|
the whey filled up the bowl.
I have NOT yet tried the whey, but the pigs slurped it right up in no time. Their satisfactory grunts were enough for now.
But, we now have whey available, and have succeeded in yet another home dairy experiment. Overall, it's going great. I'd like Bridget's production to be up a little higher, but I think there are many factors working against that at the moment (late spring, middle lactation, teat injury recovery, time away, etc.). She'll get there once the grass comes back in full. In the meantime, we are still getting near a gallon a day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I'd like two so we can start clabbering food for the chickens and get them COMPLETELY off pellets and into a totally homemade chicken feed regimen.
All things in God's time, I suppose....