Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Balancing Act

But if it seem evil to you to serve the Lord, you have your choice: choose this day that which pleaseth you, whom you would rather serve, whether the gods which your fathers served in Mesopotamia, or the gods of the Amorrhites, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. –Joshua 24:15

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you. –Matthew 6:33

And I say to you, Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you. –Luke 11:9

Always rejoice. Pray without ceasing. In all things give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you all. Extinguish not the spirit. Despise not prophecies. But prove all things; hold fast that which is good. -1 Thessalonians 5:17-21

Work, leisure, and rest. The rock in the middle is the Church.
I have made several New Year’s resolutions in my life, and have actually stuck to a few of them. Last year, I resolved to tackle my ginormous wish/to-do list and get things done. I got a LOT done, but it also wore me out.

This year, I want it to be different.




I've cut down some responsibilities outside the home, reduced some major stress points, and have gotten to the point where I need to start being fulfilled by all the busy-ness of this past year.
So this coming year, I am going to make a concerted effort to live out these verses above.

Oh, sure, I have some big plans for the homestead. Rotating gardens, double-planting spaces, hugelkulturs, rabbits, more chickens, bees, additional fruit trees, and even a nice surprise or two or three (oink, oink) may be on the horizon.

But, those material things must be second.

I will be focusing this year on the spiritual things – seeking the kingdom of God first. Praying unceasingly, serving the Lord, and all that jazz.

Then, all these other things will be added. Seeking them first (the livestock, the gardens, the fencing, etc., etc.) has driven me batty. I'm beat. I'm exhausted. I'm worn. I have little peace to show for all of my efforts.

But that’s the great thing about God. When you give it all up for God, you end up with God AND the world. But God must come first.

Thus, 2014 shall be henceforth be known as The Year of Balance.

I need balance, and Christ is the fulcrum.

Work, leisure, and rest must find their proper ratios. And Christ needs to be through all and in all. Here in the home, we have the Liturgy of the Hours, a printed Catechism, we have Bibles out the wazoo, and we have spiritual icons and sacramentals everywhere. I fully plan on using these resources much more frequently.

In seeking God first, and centering my life around the Church, I fully expect these other things to be added unto me in their due time and way.

So Happy New Year to alls y'alls, and God bless us - every one.

P.S.: I also resolve to post at least 10 times a month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment